Laura Carlin Mattiacci
Laura Carlin Mattiacci is a partner at Console Mattiacci Law, LLC. She is the lead trial counsel for many of the law firm’s most significant cases.
On June 20, 2017, Laura, serving as lead trial counsel, with Rahul Munshi of Console Mattiacci Law, LLC assisting as second-chair, won a jury verdict on behalf of former Phillies pitcher and MLB Network analyst, Mitch Williams, in his breach of contract lawsuit against Major League Baseball Network. After an 11 day jury trial in Camden, the New Jersey jury found in favor of Mr. Williams, rejecting MLB Network's allegations that Mr. Williams violated the "morals clause" in his contract in regards to events that occurred at a youth baseball game in 2014 where he was the manager. The amount of the award was $1,565,333, plus costs and interest.
On December 13, 2016, Laura, serving as lead trial counsel, with Lane J. Schiff of Console Mattiacci Law, LLC assisting as second-chair, won a unanimous jury verdict in federal court in a disability discrimination case against the Golden Nugget casino. After a six day trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey before the Honorable Joseph H. Rodriguez, the jury found that Mr. Jackson’s disability was a determinative factor in Golden Nugget’s decision not to hire him. They also found that his request for an accommodation and/or alleged complaint regarding the failure to accommodate him was a determinative factor in Golden Nugget’s decision not to hire him. The jury was asked only to assess “compensatory damages” (compensation for pain, suffering, inconvenience, mental anguish, or loss of enjoyment of life) as a result of the failure to hire and returned a unanimous verdict of $340,000. Mr. Jackson, who made approximately $48,000 a year, also has back-pay losses of approximately $170,000 as well as front-pay losses, the award of which will be determined by the Judge. A petition for reimbursement of attorneys’ fees and costs will also be submitted, which should bring the final award to approximately $1 million. Read more about the case by clicking here.
On January 11, 2016, Laura, serving as lead trial counsel, with Caren Gurmankin of Console Mattiacci Law, LLC assisting as second-chair, won a unanimous jury verdict in federal court in an age discrimination case against AT&T. Laura's client, 66-year old, Jack Gerundo, was terminated by AT&T as part of a "surplus" that he alleged caused him, and other older workers, to lose their jobs. Mr. Gerundo alleged there was a secret and fraudulent "ratings and rankings" system that AT&T used to justify the discriminatory decisions resulting in several older workers being placed on "surplus" status. After a five-day trial, the jury ruled in favor of Mr. Gerundo, finding that his age was "the determinative factor" in the surplus decision and awarded him $370,000. After attorneys' fees and costs are assessed, the final judgment should exceed $900,000. On December 20, 2016, Judge Schmehl denied the appeal of AT&T to overturn the verdict.
In 2013, Laura, serving as lead trial counsel, with Rahul Munshi of Console Mattiacci Law, LLC assisting as second-chair, won the largest employment law verdict in Pennsylvania, as reported in The Legal Intelligencer - a $1.678 million jury verdict (plus attorney’s fees and costs) on behalf of a whistleblower who was fired after complaining of illegal activity in the workplace.
In 2011, while nine months pregnant, Laura, serving as lead trial counsel, won a six-figure jury verdict on behalf of a worker in a defamation and intentional interference with contractual relations case. Ten days later, she gave birth to her second baby boy.
From 2013-2018, Laura was named a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” by Philadelphia Magazine. From 2014-2018, Laura was named to the list of "Top 50 Female Attorneys in Pennsylvania"by Philadelphia Magazine. In 2011, she was named to the “Lawyers on the Fast Track” list by The Legal Intelligencer – a distinction given to only 27 lawyers under the age of 40 in Pennsylvania. From 2006 through 2012, Laura was named to the "Pennsylvania Rising Star" list by Philadelphia Magazine and the Philadelphia Super Lawyers Magazine - no more than 2.5% of the lawyers in the state are named to the list. In 2015 and 2018, Laura was named by Philadelphia Magazine and Super Lawyers: “Top 100 Attorneys in Pennsylvania” (one of 11 women on the list); "Top 100 Attorneys in Philadelphia" (one of 10 women on the list); and "Top 50 Female Attorneys in Pennsylvania." From 2014 - 2018, Laura was a “Top Attorney” by South Jersey Magazine.
In 2009, Laura founded Philly-MAMA (Mother-Attorneys Mentoring Association of Philadelphia), a group dedicated to empowering attorney-mothers and encouraging them to succeed while celebrating their roles as both attorneys and mothers, which now has over 150 members. Besides being a trial lawyer, Laura is also a mom to four young children.
Laura’s clients include current and former employees, and applicants for employment, who have been victimized by discrimination based on sex, race, religion, national origin, color, disability, age, sexual orientation and pregnancy. Laura also represents individuals in matters involving FMLA leave, long-term and short-term disability claims, retirement benefits, stock option plans, whistleblower claims, employment contracts and severance agreements. Laura’s practice also includes significant class actions against large corporations, including claims involving sex and age discrimination, wage and hour violations, and illegal reductions in force. She has been a presenter on issues of employment law at Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) seminars, National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) conventions, and area law schools.
Laura graduated from the University of Scranton in 1999 and the Beasley School of Law at Temple University in 2002. As a member of Temple Law's National Trial Team, Laura won several trial advocacy awards, including the "National Champion" award in the American Association for Justice's Trial Advocacy Competition, beating over 300 law school teams from throught the country. While in law school, she also clerked for the preeminent trial lawyer, James E. Beasley, Sr. Laura is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- New Jersey State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- The Beasley School of Law at Temple University, Juris Doctorate
- The University of Scranton, Bachelor of Science
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Founding Member of Philly-MAMA (Mother-Attorneys Mentoring Association of Philadelphia)
- Named the list of "Top 100 Attorneys in Pennsylvania" by Philadelphia Magazine and Philadelphia Super Lawyers Magazine (2015 and 2018)
- Named the list of "Top 100 Attorneys in Philadelphia" by Philadelphia Magazine and Philadelphia Super Lawyers Magazine (2015 and 2018)
- Named the list of "Top 50 Female Attorneys in Pennsylvania" by Philadelphia Magazine and Philadelphia Super Lawyers Magazine (2014 - 2018)
- Named to the list of "Top Attorneys" in South Jersey by South Jersey Magazine (2014-2018)
- Named as a Super Lawyer® in the area of employment litigation by Philadelphia Magazine and Philadelphia Super Lawyers Magazine (2013-2018)
- Named to the "2011 Lawyers on the Fast Track" list by The Legal Intelligencer – a distinction given to only 27 lawyers under the age of 40.
- Named to the Pennsylvania “Rising Stars” list by Philadelphia Magazine and Philadelphia Super Lawyers Magazine (2006 - 2012)
- National Championship Winner of the American Association for Justice’s (AAJ) Trial Advocacy Competition
- Two-time Regional Champion of AAJ’s Trial Advocacy Competition
- Champion of Quinnipiac University School of Law’s Northeast Regional Criminal Justice Advocacy Competition
- Recipient of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s James J. Manderino Award for Outstanding Trial Advocacy
- Recipient of Victor A. Jaczun Award for Outstanding Trial Advocacy
- Recipient of Alia Herrara Memorial AAJ Auxiliary Scholarship for winning essay on the topic: “The Professional Trial Lawyer: Why Is Civility Not a Sign of Weakness But a Badge of Honor?”
- Named in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- “Workers with Disabilities and the Rise of Retaliation Claims” - Speaker, American Bar Association (2018)
- "Strategic Trial Decisions: Perspectives from Counsel and the Court" - Speaker, Employment Law Institute (2018)
- Spoke on a panel at the American Bar Assiciation's Employment Rights & Responsibilties meeting in Clearwater, Florida on "Trial Techniques and Strategies for Litigating Damages," presented by the ABA's Trial and Appellate Advocacy Subcommittee. (2018)
- "Employment Law Essentials and Best Practices: Preparing for Trial" - Speaker, Employment Law Institute (2015)
- "Employment Law Essentials and Best Practices: Disability Discrimination and FMLA" - Speaker, Employment Law Institute (2015)
- "Rules Amendments Roadshow" - Speaker on Philadelphia Panel Discussing December 1st Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (2015)
- "How To Get Through (and win) the First Day of Trial" - Speaker, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (2015)
- “Laws Affecting the Deaf and Hard of Hearing” – Speaker, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Communication Centre (2013-2014)
- "Trial of an Employment Law Case - Mock Demonstration of Closing, Directs and Crosses" - Pennsylvania Bar Institute (2014)
- “Sexual Harassment Law Update” – Pennsylvania Bar Institute (2013)
- Temple Law School – Guest Lecturer in Advanced Employment Law class (2013)
- “Top Ten Pitfalls for Employment Lawyers” – Employment Law Institute (2012)
- “Visualizing Your Evidence” – National NELA Conference, San Diego, CA (2012)
- “Work/Life Success for Lawyers” – Seminar (2012)
- “Parental Leave in Law Firms” – WIP Pa Bar Association Seminar (2012)
- “Welcome Aboard! Hiring Best Practices” – National Employment Law Institute (2010)
*Disclaimer: *The term Super Lawyer® is a designation granted by the commercial publications, Super Lawyers Magazine and Philadelphia Magazine. The term does not indicate the attorney is a "super lawyer" or suggest a particular outcome in your case. Learn more about the Super Lawyer® selection process here.
"...I am truly grateful for all of the help, assistance, understanding and professional skills garnered on my behalf during this time.
I feel your life-long commitment to hard work, education, competitive skill and supporting the underdog positioned you to represent me in a way no one else could."
Contact Us About Your Case
Submit your information using our confidential inquiry form
Our Office Locations
1525 Locust St. 9th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102 Phone: 215-545-7676
110 Marter Ave #502
Moorestown, NJ 08057 Phone: 856-854-4000
Helping Enrich Our Community
Our law firm is proud to provide support to charitable nonprofit organizations making a difference in the community.