Despite social progress and strict laws prohibiting discrimination in the workplace, many Philadelphia employees face employment discrimination on the basis of gender, race, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, national origin, and other protected traits.
If you work in Philadelphia or the surrounding areas and you have been the subject of discrimination or harassment in the workplace, the Philadelphia discrimination lawyers at Console Mattiacci may be able to help.
This article contains general information about employment discrimination and legal protections for Philadelphia workers. It is not a substitute for legal advice from one of our experienced employment discrimination lawyers in Philadelphia.
What is Employment Discrimination?
The term “employment discrimination” refers to a broad range of unlawful conduct and discriminatory practices by employers. There are different employment discrimination laws at the local, state, and federal levels. These laws seek to prevent discrimination based on traits including:
- Sex or gender identity,
- National origin,
- Physical or mental disability,
- Color, and
There are several types of discriminatory practices covered by these statutes. If an employer has used any of these protected traits in making hiring, promotion, job assignment, termination, or compensation decisions, they may have broken the law. Many employment discrimination laws also prevent harassment and retaliation for reporting violations of these laws.
Employment Discrimination Laws in Philadelphia
In Philadelphia, employment discrimination is prohibited by a broad range of federal, state, and local laws.
Federal Employment Discrimination Protections
Employment discrimination by federal or state government employers may violate the due process and equal protection provisions of the United States Constitution. There are several other federal employment discrimination laws. To determine whether your employer is covered by any of these federal statutes, you should speak with an experienced discrimination lawyer in Philadelphia about your case.
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act: This federal law prohibits employers from discriminating against job applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, and national origin (including membership in a Native American tribe).
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act: This federal law makes it illegal for certain employers to discriminate against employees on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition.
- Equal Pay Act: This federal law requires employers to pay male and female employees equal pay for equal work.
- Americans With Disabilities Act: This federal law prohibits employers from discriminating against employees who have a disability, are regarded as being disabled, and have a record of impairment.
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act: This federal law prohibits employers from discriminating against employees or on the basis of genetic information, and also requires employers to keep employee genetic information confidential.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act: This federal law prohibits certain employers from discriminating against employees who are 40 years of age or older.
Philadelphia Employment Discrimination Protections
In Philadelphia, employees also benefit from state workplace anti-discrimination laws, including the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act (or “PHRA”). This Pennsylvania state law prohibits discriminatory employment practices on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, disability, age, or national origin.
The Pennsylvania Human Relations Act applies to most Philadelphia employers, employment agencies, and labor organizations. The PHRA is broader than some of the federal statutes mentioned above and provides Philadelphia workers with additional state law protections against discrimination and harassment.
How an Experienced Employment Discrimination Lawyer Can Help
If you’ve experienced discrimination, harassment, or retaliation in your Philadelphia workplace, you should speak to an employment discrimination lawyer right away. At Console Mattiacci, our employment discrimination lawyers represent clients in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas.
An employment discrimination lawyer can help you secure financial compensation, job reinstatement, or other legal relief after a discriminatory act.
Console Mattiacci | Philadelphia Discrimination Attorneys
To speak with one of the Philadelphia discrimination attorneys at Console Mattiacci about your workplace discrimination claims, contact us or call at (215) 545-7676 today. We represent employment discrimination plaintiffs in state and federal lawsuits against Philadelphia employers.